Tuesday, September 02, 2008

malaysia

(meant for posting on 31 August, obviously delayed)

....

"Do you want to raise your children in Malaysia?" mom asked me.

I kept mum.

"What happened to your plans about going back to Australia?"

"Well, I did visit the migration agent.." said I.

"Is it money? We can help you with that," she interjected.

"We'll see," I told her.

"How long do you want to wait? Till the country collapses in the hands of people who run the show?"

....

Dad, who is in Indonesia, sent me a text message on the morning of the 31st.

"MERDEKA! Even for someone my age, Merdeka is no longer special. I wonder what is it like for people your generation. Have a good weekend!"

....

I'm still here, in KL, in Malaysia, at home.

And dad, I stand corrected. We may not have been there in 1957, but 31 August reminds me that Malaysia is still a young nation. We, young Malaysians, I, still hope that race and colour will not stand in our way of progressing as a nation.

31 August is still special because it shows that there is hope for a better tomorrow.

Happy 51st, Malaysia.

Posted by Doreen at 5:18 pm