Tuesday, November 25, 2008

shit happens

The last week has been tough, and that is me painting you a nice picture. Heck, it's as nice a picture as seeing a school of mantas gliding above a diver.

The last week has been trying. The last week has been mighty stressful. The last week has been, to put it simply, fucked up.

The episode, though far from over, has made me realize things about myself which I never knew of, and taught me important lessons.

I'm not quite the tough-and-in-control eldest child or da jie (big sister) that I thought I was.

When I heard my baby's sister voice's over the phone, punctuated with heavy sobs, I mustered strength I never knew I had, to keep my voice from breaking despite my own tears.

Family, to me, will always and only be of the nuclear kind. The rest may share the same last name, but they don't always fit the definition.

Can I be so bold and say that blood is not (always) thicker than water?

A good man raised me.

A strong woman gave me her all.

In times of conflict, I play defense. I can't score goals for nuts.

Despite being geographically apart from one another, a family (the nuclear kind) will come together in heart and mind. In fact, during such trying times, we tend to feel so much closer, more united than ever. Funny innit?

If you know my dad, you would know that he is a very, very, traditional and conservative Chinese man. I would think that it would take a lot for men in his generation to admit their fears. He did. And I'm so proud like that.

Mom, she's a fighter that one. She fights not for herself, but for us.

Bad things do happen to good people.

Money isn't everything, but it is a lot of things.

Posted by Doreen at 9:21 pm