Monday, November 03, 2008

getting old

November has set in. Less than 2 months before we call it a wrap for 2008.

Oh don't be silly. I'm not dying or anything like that.

It's just... why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

Hah. Says who I procrastinate, eh?

This year has been, fair to say, quite wild a ride.

In January, I took my first ever solo trip to Bangkok. It was awesome travelling on my own. OK fine, all I did was scurry in and out of fashion markets and wholesale malls. Still!

Earlier this year too, I left the comforts of the events industry and jumped into *gasp* sales! Fine, so it was still within the realms of advertising, but at the end of the day, sales is sales. Either you perform and get rewarded. Or you don't, and get warning letters.

Yes, I had my ups and downs, and lasted 6 months before I said 'thank you, but goodbye'. I would have loved to use the F word, but I shall refrain, just this once.

Of course, getting my PADI certification is still the highlight of 2008.

I told myself that I'm going to be diving at all the East Coast islands first, before venturing out to East Malaysia, and maybe later, onto neighbouring waters like Indonesia and Thailand. But thanks to her, I ventured out to East Malaysia three months after being certified, and SWV will be up next in December.

That's TWO East Malaysian trips in under one year of being certified. Oh woman, what have you done to us?

In 2008 too, I have grown a lot as a person.

Don't know if it's a good thing, but at 27, I have pretty much resigned to the fact that as individuals in society, there is a pre-defined system that we have to adhere to -- school - uni - graduate - work - get married - have babies - raise them - work some more - grow old - retire - die.

Sure, I knew this system existed before... But naive as I was, I thought I had the power to change my own route. I guess not. The slightest indication of deviating from this system on my part would result in frowns and disapproval.

They told me balance is they key. I guess I'll have to live with that.

Can't blame me for being cynical then.

They say that I want the cake and to eat it too. I mean, seriously - why have the cake if you ain't gonna eat it, non?

Some mistakes haunt you for a long, long, looooong time.

Sigh.

If you are still trying to figure out the above, don't worry - I'm just ranting lah.

Dammit, I'm growing old.

In less than 6 months, I'll be 28.

WHY, OH WHY DO WE HAVE TO GROW UP (OLD)?

Posted by Doreen at 2:30 pm