Friday, March 20, 2009

I is 28

I am a year... wiser.

For today, I turn 28.

When my parents called me earlier this morning, and after wishing me a happy birthday, they said to me, "Not young anymore ah!"

I giggled. I didn't know what to say, nor do I know what emotions should I be exhibiting.

Am I really that old?

My parents had me when they were 30 and 31 respectively, and now they are both nearing 60. I must have aged with them.

A couple of days ago, a 13-year old boy and I were chatting. After some minutes, he told me, "You don't speak like an adult. You're like a teenager!"

I reveled in his statement. I gave him a pat on his head and thanked him for his very nice compliment.

Hah! I am not that old!

At my age, some already have their plans laid out. If they don't, they are already starting to look into the future and to plan for it. And yet, I am still unsure of mine.

Where do I go from here? Do I continue being a corporate slave? Do I get married and have kids? Do I continue driving my beaten old Kenari or buy a new car? Do I start investing? Do I put money aside for rainy days?

Honestly, these things don't thrill me at all, and thinking about it scares me. So I don't.

You can say I'm running away from 'growing up'. Maybe. But hey, I am happy. Are you?

Yes, despite all the 'grown up issues' that accompany me as I age, and the uncertainties that loom above before me, I am as happy as the bright sunshine that makes the sea glisten and warms the sand between your toes.

Having said that, there are some measures I take to help me preserve my youth.

I laugh out loud very often.

I adore myself and the way I look, think, sound, and feel. (Yes, despite complaining now and then about how fat my bum is!)

I love.

I get healthy doses of vitamins for the soul, sunshine and fresh air when I run off to the beach and go underwater.

And I use anti-ageing products.

:)

Happy Birthday to me.

Posted by Doreen at 11:46 am