Wednesday, January 26, 2005

The last weekend was indeed special. It started off with me sitting in front of the computer on a Saturday night thinking "Yep, I am getting old!" and I expected it to be a slow and boring weekend. Then Raymond came online.. and 6 hours later, I found myself at the Pudu bus terminal, looking out for a guy whom I've not seen in the last 9 years!

It was all so fast I had a hard time trying to contain my excitement! Raymond was a classmate back in highschool, and yes, it's been 9 long years since I last saw him. Originally from Hong Kong, Ray was in Singapore for some visa matters and found the island to be boring since he had no where to go and didn't know anyone there. Seeing me online, he found out that KL was about 5 hours away from Singapore by coach. And almost immediately he went offline, and the next thing I knew, he was already on a bus departing Singapore, and will be arriving at 6am in the morning.

It has been really good meeting up with high school friends, and I've met 2 in the last week! And I'm talking about dudes whom I've completely lost touch with, not knowing their whereabouts, no emails, no phone calls, no nothing! Never in my life I'd ever imagine seeing them again! And suddenly, we're spending the afternoon drinking gallons of beer, and uh... I needed 'assistance' to get to the car when it was only 8pm! Well, we started drinking at what.. 2 or 3pm! Heh. I had fun. So much! At midnight, when I hugged Raymond before he boarded the bus to Singapore to catch his flight the next day back to Jakarta, it was like "Dude, will we ever see each other again?"

Now if only I can meet up with the girls. For the past 8-9 years, we have been emailing each other, yes all 9 of us linked via Yahoogroups. We call ourselves NRJIICDS (which stands for Natalie, Roselle, Jaclyn, Christine, Choyette, Doreen, Dora, Sella and Shreya).. and it also reads Energy To See The Ass. I know, I know, juvenile yeah? But hey, we were like 14 or 15 when we came up with this!


Us girlies during our Year 10 Graduation Dinner (From L-R: Natalie, Roselle, Jaclyn, Choyette, Christine, Dora, Doreen, Sella and Shreya)


Our notorious sleep-overs


The entire line-up.


Mucking around in the hallways.


Trying on graduation robes.


Girls rock!


I somehow miss our uniform...

Natalie is currently in Italy. I've always liked saying that - Natalie in Italy. Heh. She's still in uni finishing up her degree in Tourism and she's like the baby of the group. Always soft spoken, innocent and girlie. Of mixed parentage, Indonesian mother and Italian dad, she's da bomb yeah! Nat is always excited and full of vivacity, and she was always running, skipping and hopping about the hallways in school. I remember she used to always had these pretty little hairclips and hairbands which she'd wear in her long brown hair.

Roselle is a Filipino, and is currently in Manila finishing her Medicine degree. She was the celebrity-crazed one that girl, always having extensions to her name to signify her many "other half" from Hollywood. There were too many to remember, but I recalled Devon Sawa being one of them. You know, the little teenybopper who played Casper alongside Christina Ricci in Casper? I remembered sitting next to her, Year 8 or 9 I think it was... and she was super-neat! Her handwriting, her notebooks and all.. Man.

Jaclyn, ah.. My fellow Malaysian! Jac has always been petite and sweet! Now this girl, she's the artistic one! You should have seen her pieces and works done for Art class! Today, she's also within the Klang Valley, and man, we should have met up ages ago.. but what is stopping us? *sobs* Jac, despite her size, can be loud and opinionated.. and I love her for that. She's also very witty and ooh, she's HOT too! Heh.

Christine or Tong as we fondly refer to her as.. Heh, she's our mother! Originally from HK, Christine has been in Jakarta for a very, very long time too. She's forgetful, bubbly and extremely smart. She goes ga-ga over mushrooms and sushi and drools in delight if any of our classmates lunchboxes carried these items. Today, she's in Singapore working for a clothing label. Ah, Tong! Miss you so!

Choyette is a Filipino currently working in Washington D.C. with the Filipino embassy. She had this mob of dark, jet black curly hair which I always find fascinating... the way she pulls it up in a neat bun. She's got a thing for words and I've always enjoyed reading her essays which she wrote for English or Literature classes. She's ultra smart and has a way with words. Choy's smiles never fails to light up a room.. it's bright and very inviting and people naturally warm up to her. At 15 or 16, she already was in touch with her womanly and motherly instincts, claiming to want .. 6 children was it? She even had names for them back then! Today, she's happily dating Bryan, also a Filipino based in Atlanta. I wish them happiness. And 6 children! *grins*

Dora was one of those mysterious girls... but mysterious as she was, she was definitely a crazy one too! Inside her small frame is a girl bursting with ideas, knowledge and energy. If you wanted updated Chemistry / Physics notes, you go to her. She loved to doodle a lot too. Today she is back in Hong Kong and is now a graduate in Biotech & Sciences (I hope I got this right?). Did I mention she made real short hair look so cool? If she's a musician, she's like quirky Sinead O' Connor, or Gwen Stefani or the likes. But I AM GWEN STEFANI! No one else can be her! Heh.

The other D in the group is of course me.. Ah me. You know all about me don't you? I'm just an average one I reckon. I wasn't extremely smart in the books department, I loved to play. My favourite subject was PE and Art class. And I love going to the clinic to have a lie on the bed cos I wanted to be excused from classes *lol* I had nice hair back then.. till I fell trap to the brightly coloured advertisements selling hair dyes *sobs* Oh well. Today, I think I'm the wild child among the lot.

Sella is an Indonesian lass who's tall, fair, pretty and real smart too! Her father's a dentist, so she had funky colourful braces! She's currently in Melbourne finishing her Medicine degree. Like Dora, she's the one who you went to should you need notes for Biology, Chemistry or Physics. Or anyting else really. She plays good basketball and she laughs real loud. I remembered her always having sweaty palms. It's not nervousness or anything.. and it's always icy cold! Oooh, she was the one who started coming to school with pastel coloured nails. Heh.

Shreya is another ultra smart gal from India. She had these round specs back then with long curly hair. She looked cute. Heh. Her voice puts Mariah to shame. I remembered her doing a rendition of "Hero" for one of those singing competitions held at school. She's currently in Melbourne working for a huge kick-ass company. Good on ya girl!

Scattered all over the world as we are.. I miss them dearly and write to them every other day! All I ask for is to be able for us all to gather and have a cuppa and just talk! Gosh, how I wish for that. Girlfriends - you just need them so. They help me keep my sanity. Sometimes my emails are of nothings, but I write anyway.

One day, we will meet. One day when we've got the time and money. I think we'll probably meet at one of our weddings. Choyette, hurry! Get married! *grins*

Posted by Doreen at 10:13 am