Wednesday, July 12, 2006

vacation - done, World Cup - over

The best part about vacationing in Tioman (or any other island getaways I suppose) is the joy of not caring what time is it. Actually, there is no need to care for time. It's simple really. When the sun rises, you wake up. When your tummy rumbles, you eat. When the sun is up, you frolick at the beach. When you feel dirty, you take a bath. When the sun sets, you sleep.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I had no internet access and there were no daily papers to buy. There were no updates on traffic condition via the radio and who cares about the nightly 8 o'clock news? The only thing was that Celcom is the only telco with coverage there, and the phone had to be on in case of office emergencies. But thank goodness those calls were kept to a minimum. I warned them before I left. But they had Astro. So the World Cup was not an issue.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Every night after dinner, we'd take a stroll along the jetty.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This little hut may not seem like much, but this is the only place in Kampung Salang that serves a decent latte.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image having breakfast to a view like this every morning... sure beats munching on sandwiches while being stuck in a crawl along Jalan Tun Razak at 8am!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Happy soaking up the sun!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
"Make sure you cannot see my belly ah!"

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Things you capture on camera when you are on the beach.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Look at how brown I became! SKII whitening products? Bah. Not for me!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Seaside cafe at Salang Pusaka.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Dinner is by the beach too with an amazing view to boot. I love the smell of fresh seafood cooking on the grill coupled with the salty tang in the air. I go barefoot during dinner so that I can dig my toes into the sand while I chew on my food.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Lanterns were lit to enable us to read the menu.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Salang Dream Restaurant by the beach.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
White sandy beaches, swaying palm trees...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
From afar..

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I zoomed all the way in trying to focus, and the boyfriend saw me with the camera in hand and decided to say hello.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Still nice and brown.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The crystal blue waters.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
See the dark patch in the water? If you look closely, you might notice a whole school of tiny fish there! There were probably 8 million of them swimming under the jetty when I took this picture.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
How can you bear to leave a view like this?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
A nice solo shot to illustrate the picture perfect view behind me.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Upon zooming in, notice the shirt I'm wearing? Brought it along so that I can wear it to return to KL when Italy gets the cup. Hoorah!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
One Brasil. One Azzuri.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Taken from the back of the speedboat.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
On the day we left the island, even the skies were grey.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
And the speedboat roared off into the distant...

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Damn gaya right?

Alas, all good things must come to an end, and here I am back in KL. The World Cup is over. The vacation is over. Things should be back to normal in no time...

... after enduring the withdrawals first that is.

Oh, and I did not come home from Tioman empty-handed. I brought along some souvenirs too!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Oooh, what's that? A bite?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Yes, it's a freaking sandfly bite! Argh. Everytime I go to the beach, I come home with these. There are huge, red and itchy as hell! Those sandflies are like tiny microscopic creatures but with such venom in them. I have about 8 of them all over my legs, arms and back.

Posted by Doreen at 10:33 am