Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Late, twice!

A song started playing on my phone. I opened my eyes in a daze to see the room still dark. Switching the alarm off, I realized that it is 3:00am. Yes, time to wake up.

Sleepily, one arm flew over to the boyfriend and landed smack on his tummy.

"Babe... wake up," I slurred. "Match... Germany and Italy".

"Mmmpfth," said he and proceeded to roll over. "Let me know when they score..."

I clambered out of bed and headed to the living room. I looked at my tee-shirt. Purple? Damn. I left my blue Azzurri shirt in my own room when I left in haste earlier on in the night.

Oh, what the hell. If they are gonna win, they are gonna win. With or without me in blue.

And win they did! *still shivering with excitement as I write this*

A superb and late, very late goal by Fabio Grosso, and another one a minute later by my all-time favourite Italian, Alessandro Del Piero. I leaped off the couch and jumped non-stop for a good 30 seconds, flapping my arms in the air and trying to suppress my need to scream out in joy. However, it still came out in muffled little spurts of "eeeee! eeeee! eeeee!"

Ah, the Azzurris meeting the French would be a good final to catch while I'm holidaying on the idyllic paradise island of Tioman...

Posted by Doreen at 9:24 am