Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Engraving Eternity

To do, or not to do - That question has been bugging me since.. erm, a few years now. In fact, 2 weeks after I got my first tattoo done in Fremantle, Perth. That was.. damn, September 2000! That makes it close to 4 years now.

Shucks. Has it been that long since the days in Perth? I remember it being a sunny afternoon in spring time, and Ken, Stefi and myself were walking around Freo. Then Ken and myself strolled into a tattoo parlour and decided to get one there and then.

Anyways, it's about time to get a new one to be etched forever on my skin. I've been deciding and deciding, where should I place this new one? Somewhere on the back would be most convenient.. But nah, I've already got one on the back. It makes it look too cluttered yeah?

So the ankle it is then. Left ankle it will be. Mom and dad are gonna freak! HAHAHAH. But so what, it's not like I'm in an industry where everyone is governed by strict dress codes and that body art is taboo.



Whaddya think of this design? I was thinking of improvising it a little. I'm thinking of doing away with the "winged" protrusions on the lower half of the design. And it will be done in a solid one-tone black.

"Tattoos are no longer just an art form of the elite or associated with societal deviants. People of all ages and from all walks of life are finding their own special meaning in tattoos. Once associated only with gangs, tattoos are done between friends sharing common bonds and by individuals expressing their own uniqueness. Tattooing is modern in its form only in the tools and designs used. The concept and art of tattooing has existed throughout the centuries, beginning as early as Ancient Egypt around 2000 B.C.

In other parts of the world, tattooing was reserved to the elitist culture. People are often amazed to note that royalty such as King George V, Grand Duke Alexis of Russia and King Harold bore tattoos. At one time, tattooing was an expensive art form, out of reach to the common people. Tattoo artists were revered as highly as canvas artists.

The popularity of the tattoo remained with the military during World War II. Sailors and soldiers bore their allegiances to their country and their women with body art. They bore names of their units, ships and divisions proudly. Tattoo shops were located on docks and near military bases and tattooing flourished.

The introduction of the electric tattoo gun caused the prices to drop and tattooing to be accessible to everyone. This led the tattoo to be associated with lower classes, including circus people who often displayed extravagant facial designs and full body tattoos.

Another transformation in tattooing history came with the Hippie movement. Before and during these times, people were having peace signs, ying yangs and other symbols tattooed. Flower power was permanently placed as body art and proudly displayed. After the Hippie movement many of the tattooed held prominent jobs within the common society. No longer were tattoos for the deviants."


Uh.. which means, the ying yang on my back is from the Hippie days!





The two circuluar ones above, they're actually rather nice! I would get something like that on my back, at the nape of my neck if I don't have my current one.



I find this rather pretty too.. Very simple and feminine.. Almost elegant.

Posted by Doreen at 9:41 am