Monday, December 05, 2005

The Road Less Taken

The Homegrown Finale Concert presented by X-Pax, was held on 3 December 2005, at the Sunway Lagoon Amphitheatre. The evening's rock show was set to feature local rock bands and the line-up included One Buck Short, Deja Voodoo Spells, 7 Collar T-Shirt, Love Me Butch, Republic of Brickfields and Pop Shuvit.

The highlight of the night was of course the closing of the SMS votes which will determine whether Pop Shuvit will smash one of their guitars on stage tonight, or have the guitar given to a fan. How often do you get to see a FREE rock show and have one of the bands smash their guitar to pieces in front of your eyes? *rubs my hands together excitedly*

With a Crew Tag in place, I managed to make my way into the premises even before doors were opened to the public - but that proved fatal because I soon got lost. Right, so everyone's supposed to go in via the Elephant Walk.. Never knew the existence of this Elephant Walk. There was a winding road that led me downhill with tress on both sides. It's almost like being in Taman Negara - except I won't really know how Taman Negara is like never having been there before.

There was another guy with me walking towards the Amphitheatre, and I guess both of us don't have any idea where it is, all that we could hear was the distant sounds of rock music.

Somehow or the other, we decided to venture on the road less taken. There were some stony steps leading downhill, that's right - right thru the hills and tress. I'm not much of a jungle trekking girl, so it actually spooked me a bit, just never know if some creature will pounce on you from out of no where!

Both of us made small talk, and he told me that he plays for Deja Voodoo Spells, and that he's late for soundcheck. I didn't ask for his name then, but looking through my archives of pictures from the Homegrown Campus Tour, I now found out that he's the bassist.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bassist Guy is real nice. He led me thru winding paths downhill on cobbled trails, and even extended his hand for support when we had to cross some steep slope with soft, muddy ground. But of course during our hike downhill, we never stopped cursing. OK, at least I didn't. Heh.

Thanks dude!

Anyways, I thought I'll post some pictures taken from the concert -

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Security check point.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Entrance to Homegrown Finale Concert, and Celcom customers get to redeem a pocket radio!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The view of Sunway Lagoon Resort Hotel at sunset from across the lake.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Entrance to the stage area.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Malaysian time - Bila nak start nih?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Finally! Emcee Rina from 8TV introduced all the bands who were set to rock the show that night.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The launch - the backdrop was unveiled and fireworks marked the beginning of the show.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The excited crowd.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
One Buck Short - the opening act. They delivered a very enthusiastic performance with Mookie jumping around as usual.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Going wild!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Republic of Brickfields - full Rasta gear, with dreadlocks and all!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Mosh!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I don't know you, but let's all hug and dance together!

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Still Republic of Brickfields - See that guy in black? He's actually wearing a pareo. Gotta admit - it looks pretty cool. Not any guy can pull this off no?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Very supportive Malaysian crowd no?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
And a last shot of the hotel again, before I left.

I only had time to stay on to watch 2 bands perform, but with a crowd of 3000 there that night - I bet the rest of the evening was even more heated up! And yes, Pop Shuvit DID smash their guitar on stage that night! Too bad I didn't get to witness it.

Oh, and the road less taken? Well, that was the wrong way. The winding road that we were initially on - now that's the right one. It just goes all the way down - just gotta follow it. Duh. I found out when I made my way back to the parking lot.

Posted by Doreen at 12:44 pm