Friday, March 31, 2006

My First Time

I had a meeting at Wisma Genting along Jalan Sultan Ismail yesterday afternoon. It was the second time I step foot into the building, and well, it brought back memories of the first.

The first happened exactly 3 years and 7 months ago and yesterday, while standing out by the glass door at the lobby smoking a cigarette, I retraced my steps.

I was 21, and had returned from Perth a month ago, July 2002. Upon returning to Malaysia, I dived straight into the world of cover letters and curriculum vitaes. I licked plenty of stamps and sealed plenty of envelopes.

After a month of doing all that, I finally got a call from the City of Entertainment to attend an interview. I took a bus from JB to KL. I got third aunt to drive me to town since I did not own a car then.

3 years 7 months. Not very long ago, and yet, not quite yesterday. But I've changed nevertheless.

I was early for the interview, and ended up doing what I think would calm my nerves - chain smoking. I stepped out beyond the glass doors in the lobby and stood by the rubbish can and started chain smoking. It was my very first interview, and I probably was wearing something really tacky. But who remembers? I had butterflies in my stomach and I swear, they were morphing into clawing creatures and they were eating up the lining of my stomach right there and then! I was all queasy.

I eyed the "working grown-ups" suspiciously as they walked in and out of the building. I checked out what the girls were wearing, and saw how they strut so confidently in their power suits. I surveyed the men too. Oooh, how exciting it would be to date an older working man!

Soon it was time to go up to the 19th floor, the office of e-Genting, where I was to be interviewed for the position of Web Content Executive.... and I don't remember much of what happened after that. My bladder must have been full, my hands must have been icy cold with sweaty palms. In my mind I was probably rehearsing answers to, "Tell me about yourself", "Why do you think you are suited for this job?", or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"

I remembered being interviewed by a woman. I remembered how exciting the job sounded; frequently traveling up Genting, checking out the events, food, hotels, etc and writing about it and updating the contents of the website. Wicked eh? Free food, free entertainment! Heh. I remembered how desperate I was to quickly start working, and I knew at that time I was ready to pretty much take any salary that was offered.

Walking in the lobby yesterday, I smiled to myself. After years of working, I now play "hard-to-get" or in other words, tarik harga. Yes, eventhough I've been with this current company since September 2002, I attended some interviews as well. That was when I was stuck under a different boss and a different department.

I guess I'm one of the few lucky ones who did not have to go for many interviews before landing myself my very first job. Genting was my first interview, the second was a publishing company (I turned them down because it required me to work in JB), and the third, the present company I'm working for.

Anyways, I smiled because I remembered my desperation. But ever since I've got the ball rolling, I've been made offers, and I've had the power to turn them down. Today, I'm so much more confident. Today, I know I am worth something.

Aaah, the power of growing up, the power of E.X.P.E.R.I.E.N.C.E.

Do you remember your first time?

Posted by Doreen at 4:24 pm