Monday, October 09, 2006

How Telcos Make Me Feel "I'm Worth It"

Me: Hello Customer Service, would like to activate my international roaming for this number. Is there a fee for activation? Or a monthly subscription fee?

CS: There is no such service fee, ma'am.

Me: OK, so can you activate it for me then?

CS: First, you need to go to our nearest service centre with a copy of your IC, passport and a deposit of RM 300. With that, activation will be done within 24 hours.

Me: What? I have to pay a deposit? For what?

CS: OK ma'am. I'm looking at your records and you've been a long-time customer with us . I tell you what, I'll activate the roaming service for you over the phone.

Me: But you'll charge the RM 300 to my bill next month? Or the activation fee or whatever?

CS: No ma'am. Nothing to be paid.

Me: The deposit? Or the fee?

CS: Both ma'am.

Me: OK, so activate it please?

CS: Sure, let me just get some verification from you..

Posted by Doreen at 5:15 pm