Thursday, August 02, 2007

Loving KL

Working in the city centre requires some getting used to.

Parking is shit. The parking lot I park at is just across the road from my office block, and it costs RM5.50 a day. At this parking lot, you'd be lucky to just be double parked. Rows and rows of cars are just parked one after another, and if you want to park here, you'd have to give your car keys to the parking attendant.


Halfway through the day, say you've got an appointment to head to, you'd have to give yourself more time because on a bad day, it might take the carpark dude a good 20 minutes to eventually move your car out of that maze.

Don't even get me started on the state of the parking lot - it's cobbled, dirty and pot-holed. On a hot day, the sand and dirt rise in the air and the chirping birds atop the trees shit on your car. On a wet day, the pot holes are filled with brown murky water. Dry or wet, walking across the lot has proven an arduous task, especially in 3-inch heels.

Food is more expensive in town. A plate of rice with 3 dishes - 2 greens and 1 meat - will usually cost me about RM3.50 to RM4.00 in the suburbs. But that very same plate of rice will cost me anywhere between RM4.00 - RM5.00, depending on that fat-butchy-looking woman's mood. I swear to you - she has something against hot-looking girls.

Working in this part of the Valley also means that there is no such thing as "running a quick errand". Just "around the corner" will take you an hour back and forth, and 45 minutes on a good day. I mean, seriously, there must be a lot of casualties in ambulances on their way to hospitals within the city?


And because of the congestion, I try and "act smart" by cutting my way through little roads unknown to me, thinking that I'll escape the jam and besides, how hard can it be right? KL Tower and KLCC are my towering landmarks - I just have to drive towards them right? Obviously I get lost like a gazillion times.

Is that why I fell in love with this city?

Posted by Doreen at 10:09 am